Monday, May 4, 2009

The Smiling Mask has exploded!

We have connected with women across Canada and all over the world! The mask has been destroyed and mothers are speaking their minds and unveiling their own truths! Check out our website to read “Women using their voices,” the more we connect, we realize the world is a small place and we can heal each other by education and validation!

When I was suffering alone and looking for more information I came across a website with information about Postpartum Psychosis. http://www.melaniesbattle.org/. The heartbreaking realization was it was brought forth with a tragic ending. Carol Blocker of Chicago lost her Daughter Melanie Stokes to Postpartum Psychosis and she is also on a mission to create awareness in the United States. I was shocked when a number was listed on the site and I called Carol thinking a voicemail would pick up my message. Instead a real voice answered and it was Carol! As I cried on the phone, I thanked her for the information that helped me so long ago and shared my story.

As we move forward in our journey I would like to remember the women that have suffered needlessly and encourage our followers to look to the future. Excerpt from “The Smiling Mask-Truths about Postpartum Depression and Parenthood”...

I believe that the initial first step of admitting that I had a problem and asking for medical help was what saved me. Going to the hospital on that grim day when I could not bear it any longer saved my life. I believe that finding a Postpartum Depression support group gave me the best coping skills and helped me to heal at a deeper level. Feeling validation from others and that I wasn't the only one dealing with this illness was also very important. The friends I made at the support group guided me to new ways of thinking about life and eventually encouraged me to be a survivor and not a victim. We were united together and we realized our full potential. We survived by using many tools and skills, and it is now our mission to spread the word and give hope to other women and families that are suffering. I have now accepted my illness as a gift that will create awareness and give hope to other people living in this inner “Hell.” Women need to ask for help, to find a support group or start a support group, to stop blaming themselves, and stop being a victim to this illness. Being a mother and creating life is the most important thing in the world. We are creating the children of the future. We need to take hold of our power, and remember our strengths.


I made a choice to survive and not be a victim to this illness ~ Carla

No comments: