Friday, November 20, 2009

Give Every Mother the Gift of the Four Es: Education, Empowerment, Encouragement, and Empathy

On Wednesday, November the 18th, 6 years almost to the day of my own son's birth, I became an Auntie! I am so excited and, more importantly, proud of my sister.

After a long and grueling labour, she has begun her journey as a mother! While I waited with anticipation to congratulate her, I thought about my own experience. Although, I endured severe Postpartum Psychosis, I healed after writing The Smiling Mask and am now able to see my experience as a gift to help other mothers. When I actually spoke to my sister, I told her all the things every mother should hear...

"I am so proud of you!"
"You're an amazing mom!"
"You are so strong!"
"I love you!"

All mothers deserve and need the four Es. Give these gifts first before flowers: Education, Empowerment, Encouragement, and Empathy!

I am tickled pink to have the new role of Auntie, and excited to be there for my sister!

Carla O'Reilly

No comments: